Skip to main content
HomeJonathan Hasbrouck House

Jonathan Hasbrouck House

WHG_Newburgh_2.jpeg

20th Century photo

WHQ_Newburgh_5.jpeg
WHQ_Newburgh1.jpeg

Early painting of the Jonathan Hasbrouck House

WHQ_Newburgh4.jpeg
The first publicly operated museum in the United States (1850), the house was built about 1750 by Ulster County Militia Colonel Jonathan Hasbrouck for his wife Tryntje Dubois, with two significant enlargements completed by 1770. In Newburgh, NY, it is on a hill overlooking the Hudson River. In addition to his military service, Jonathan Hasbrouck was a farmer, miller, and merchant. He was twice elected Supervisor of the town of Newburgh. Colonel Hasbrouck died in 1780.

During the War for Independence, the house was rented by Tryntie DuBois Hasbrouck to General George Washington, Commander in Chief of the American army, as his headquarters from April 1782 until August 1783. This was the longest stay in one headquarters during the war. For twelve of these months, Washington’s wife, Martha, lived in the house.

It was at the Hasbrouck House in Newburgh that Washington:
• Rejected the suggestion of an American monarchy.
• Ended the Newburgh Conspiracy, preventing potential military control of the government.
• Created the Badge of Military Merit, forerunner of the Purple Heart.
• Circulated an influential letter to State Governors outlining the key principals he sought necessary for the new republic.
• Announced the Cessation of Hostilities, which ended the fighting of the Revolutionary War.

For additional information about the Jonathan Hasbrouck House, visit https://parks.ny.gov/historic-sites/17/details.aspx.
WHQ_Newburgh3.jpeg